Matadero Madrid, contemporary art galleries.
- 1 1,223,211 visitors at Matadero Madrid in 2015.
- 2 Free admission to Matadero Madrid
- 3 Institutions at Matadero Madrid, the laboratory for interdisciplinar experimentation.
- 4 Casa del lector, -Reading corner.-
- 5 Central de diseño, -Design generators.-
- 6 AVAM, -Visual arts.-
- 7 Theatre, -Naves del Español.-
- 8 Intermediae, -Facing the future.-
- 9 Music events, -Radio studio & concerts.-
1,223,211 visitors at Matadero Madrid in 2015.
Located between the Manzanares River and Legazpi metro station (lines 6 & 3), these fantastic buildings were designed by Luis Bellido in 1911. Matadero Madrid represents both the history of the city and the creation of contemporary art. It was formerly used as a livestock market and received the Mies Van der Rohe award in 2012 (emerging architecture prize). It hosts concerts, open-air art installations and shares the same philosophy as El Campo de Cebada: a space where to meet and socialize with locals and tourists alike.
Free admission to Matadero Madrid
Those of you interested in attending to any of the artistic or cultural workshops celebrated at Matadero Madrid, may do it for free although some exhibitions require invitation from the organizers. Here is some useful information about this contemporary art center located alongside Madrid Rio park:
- Where: Plaza Legazpi, 8
- Activities: Tuesdays- Fridays: 4.00PM- 9.00PM & Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays: 11.00AM- 9.00PM
- Closed on Mondays.
- Guided visits: Wednesdays 5.00PM- 7.00PM (English and Spanish)
Institutions at Matadero Madrid, the laboratory for interdisciplinar experimentation.
Casa del lector,
A cultural space where readers participate in research, workshops and conferences about how to interpret the world, its society and its art through reading projects for all audiences.
Central de diseño,
Madrid’s visual arts asocciation generates a network of events which empowers social and cultural values among its visitors. Are you also interested in Visual reality?
More than 7,500 sq. meters which focus on researching in the performing arts field. Tickets can be purchased here in advance for any of the events.
-Facing the future.-
The development of collaborative projects which experiment and reflect about the contemporary art creation. A model based on critical dialogue and self-criticism.
-Radio studio & concerts.-
Red Bull Music Academy participates in the development of projects linked with sound systems. A true musical village inside Matadero Madrid. The official RBMA event in Madrid!